Saturday 14 March 2009

'Cheats' quilting

I've been trying to do this as a link and couldn't, had to do it
all again. Hey ho!!
I used this method to make ATC for a swop here. Click on
ATCs in the Online Exhibition, on the right, then scroll down.
Mine is no.159 and I had some lovely comments. I felt like
a cheat when I read a comment asking if I had painted
the fabric. So I decide to come clean!

This is my version of a method I came across in Quilting Arts
magazine some time ago. I use it to make fabric for book
covers, phone and MP3 pouches.

First of all, prepare the fabric flowers. I don't buy expensive
ones, about 35p from Dunelm. Some flowers work better
than others.Take the flower apart and remove all glue and
hard bits from the petals - if you hit these with your machine
needle you run the risk of damaging your machine.

Prepare the wadding - I use felt as there is a chance it might
be seen. Use a colour that works well with your fabric.
I did this fabric for a book cover so I had to piece the felt but it
doesn't matter the pieces aren't an exact match, it will hardly
be seen. I just butt the edges together and zigzag them.


For the fabric I don't choose a big favourite as it will be
partially obscured by fabric and stitching. Lay it over the felt.
There's no need for a backing, as I will line it later when I make
it up.
Place the flowers on the fabric and place a piece of polyester
organza over the top. Audition the organza, take your fabric
and flowers with you when you buy the organza. Some colours
work better than others. Unexpected colours work well. One of
my favourites is a bright pink, another is this khaki green.
Secure the layers with one pin in each flower.
The quilting - begin with the flower centres, stitch them all.
Stitch using a pattern you are comfortable with.
For the stitching choose the colour threads that you think
are appropriate for your piece.
I find I need extra grip on my fingers when maching with
organza. I use quilters gloves or some grippy things on my
finger ends.
Finish your ends in your normal way.
Next, outline the petals. You don't have to be exact and be warned,
the petals will move slightly under the organza.
Lastly, quilt the background with whatever doodle you like.
A close up, you can see the background more clearly.
The back of the quilting
It's now ready for you to use in whatever way you want.