Sunday 6 March 2011

I've made one!

I've made a quilt..................
I decided a few years ago that I wanted to make a
quilt though it was no good me piecing a top then
hand or machine quilting it. It would never be completed.
I began keeping my eyes open for a technique that would
suit my needs. I found it at the Malvern spring quilt show
2 or 3 years ago. I probably had seen it before but never
cottoned onto it. The 'Raggy' quilt was the technique for me.
I sorted my stash and filled a bag with fat quarter and
dressmaking leftovers. There were also some Liberty prints
I bought from someone who used to work in a factory making
boxer shorts (the money she made went into her embroiderers
guild kitty) - included were offcuts of my favourite Liberty
print, Ianthe.
The technique:
Wadding - I used supermarket fleece blanket! cut into 6''
squares.
Fabrics - cut into 7'' squares.
Threads - I used lots of ends of reels of ordinary polyester
thread.
The blocks - a sandwich of a wadding piece in between
2 fabric pieces then free motion stitched with 1/2'' seams.
I used a daisy design though I did start playing with
different ideas.
After all the free motion quilting was completed and all the
blocks were stitched together this is what I ended up with.
The binding was made up of some of the leftovers as I
didn't want anything left at all. In this photo (below) the seams
still need snipping. I sat down one afternoon and snipped all
the seams whilst watching Love Actually! All that snipping makes
your fingers ache but it's worth it.
So, I've done it, I've made a bed quilt. Am I a real quilter now?