Wednesday 23 March 2011

Flash Quilt

There's always something to celebrate. Last Saturday was the
third Saturday in March therefore it must be International
Quilting Day. I first learned of it here and it set me thinking.
Last weekend was also free entry at some National Trust
properties = lots of people. I got permission to sit and stitch
at Calke Abbey with a friend to raise the profile of quilting.
We sat outside Sqiurts Stable, in the sunshine, for 3 hours.
We stitched, listened and chatted.I kept wanting to call us a
'flash mob' but as there were only two of us it was a bit daft
so I called it a 'flash quilt'.
People were interested. We were asked questions by
people who were stitchers already. We hopefully encouraged
those who had ufo's hidden away to finish them; some started
by mums or themselves. Some were interested in work that
was hand stitched only and some were interested in machining
techniques.
This has set me thinking for Quip Day in June.