Sunday 6 March 2011

Contemporary Quilt

I belong to a group called 'Contemporary Quilt' and
each year a challenge is issued to the members to
produce a journal quilt every month for a year. I
I always begin the year with good intentions and make
a start but something always happens to stop the
creative flow. After making, and finishing, the raggy
quilt I decided to finish some old journal quilts. Not
much needed doing really - little bit of hand stitching
and some edge finishing.
I like taking something ordinary and using it in a different
way. These four were a series based on buttonholes.





The fabric was an old, hardly used linen tea towel
from an army surplus store, a finer cotton fabric
for the binding and the backing was my OH old work
shirts. The wadding was the thinnest I had. I used two
types of thread - an ordinary polyester sewing thread for
hand and machine stitching; a thicker silk thread for hand
stitching. The silk thread is a pale duck egg blue and this
dictated the colour of the lino print. Polyester organza
was used to suggest buttons.