Monday 28 December 2009

P4P's more detail

A few extras -
This is the pennant of 2 halves, not a lesser pennant.
The join can just about be seen - it's a utility stitch. I thought
it would be better than a normal zigzag stitch. I did think
of putting another backing on to stabilize the pennant
but it's not the done thing to cover the backof your quilting.


Now then, I'm in a quandry! I read somewhere the other day
that someone was having difficulty with the edges of their
pennant and there was plenty of good advice - duly noted
and taken on board. However, a comment was made to the
effect of judges don't like corded and zigzagged edges.
Oh dear, the zigzagged edges on my pennants won't go
down well. But then I thought, they're not being judged so
does it actually matter.
I'm a fan of zigzagged edges. I'm rubbish at satin stitch,
it doesn't matter how hard try, I'm still rubbish. I do layers of
zigzagging using all the colours I've used in the piece and an
open zigzag. I don't get lumps and bumps and the overall finish
is more subtle. I have used this sort of edge for years on items
that have to be hard wearing. In this instance I use a polyester
thread. I know this edge is not suitable for every quilted item.
Surely choices such as appropriateness of fabric, thread and
technique, are made with the end use in mind.
My pennants nearly got consigned to the recycling bin
but then I remembered the spirit in which we are being
asked to so this. So my pennants will posted just as soon
as the finishing touches are done. I hope they fullfil the
brief set. By the way, I enjoyed making them - should
have been doing Christmas stuff!!