Wednesday 26 March 2008

Joining in the pieces

Took the plunge and joined the pieces together. On reflection I don't think this would have worked if I'd pieced it first. It's because of the difference in shrinkage in two areas of quilting. The pebbles shrank about 2 inches and the leaves about an inch. Imagine the wrinkles if I'd pieced first. I was worried about the bulk in the seams. I pressed them with a dry iron and parchment paper, then trimmed them and stitched them down with loose stitches.
I covered the seams with a piece of fabric cut on the straight grain - the seams are slightly off the bias, so still stretchy. The seam binding should not only cover the ugliness but add abit of strength and support. It was tough hand stitching through the 'pebbles'as the was lots of layers of machine stitching to get through.
Not a bad job when it was done. Now for the edges - need to make some decisions!
Bye....