Friday 21 May 2010

What's new?

I saw this the other day - a field of dandelions, half the
clocks had blown away. So many dandelions this year!
I want butterfly spotting yesterday without leaving my chair
in the garden. I saw this orange and white butterfly shortly after
I'd seen a small blue one. I went to get my camera but it had
gone by the time I got back, that's when I spotted this one.
I then saw this one, looking rather battered. It actually looks
as if something has taken a chunk out of its wing.
Don't know why the photo is small....
This is a new doll, much more delicate looking than I've
done before. The face is Angelina fibres pressed onto a
face mould and heat fixed. I find 'shiny' doesn't photograph
very well.
The body is made from fleece - I find it easy to work with
and forgiving! It's used as a base then wrapped with other
textiles - strips of fabric, lace, ribbon, threads, then
stitched to hold everything in place. Other embellishments
are added before limbs and wings. I always have to
remind people these are not toys.

I've been working on a series of small pieces based on
a lino print of a tulip. This was a green print onto green
hand dyed cotton sateen. Strips of different green polyester
organza were layered over the top with a pink piece for the
flower head. I wanted to try some rayon thread which can break
easily, and did, but then can stitch for ages without breaking,
and did. I have yet to finish off the ends but here's a look.
I used my favourite (only because I do it without thinking) free
motion quilting pattern. I usually use an ordinary polyester sewing
thread but I'd just read this.
In June a sewing group my mum goes to is having a tea party
for Marie Curie and they are madly making tea cosies to
raffle, I think. Anyway it set me thinking, I've never made a
tea cosy so I thought I'd have a go. This is it so far, my first attempt.
With this I really just wanted to test out some practical ideas
before gatting decorative. The wadding is polyester fleece (again)
and the usual quilting pattern. The fabric is a tea towel I've had for
ages, I bought it because I liked the fabric. It wil be more
decorative and it will be washed to see what happens to it -
fabric, wadding, decoration.
I've also agreed to do this http://www.prayerflagquilts.blogspot.com/
which was initiated by Helen Conway. Done some thinking and
research but nothing on paper or fabric yet.